For those who are turned off by traditional metal braces, Invisalign is a more attractive option for straightening your teeth. While there are many benefits to this innovative treatment, there are potential drawbacks as well. Read on to learn more about whether Invisalign treatment is right for you.
Basics Of Invisalign Treatment
Invisalign is a dental treatment tool designed to help straighten your teeth. Instead of wires and brackets like braces, Invisalign is a clear plastic aligner that is virtually invisible. Your dentist will custom-fit this aligner to your mouth, allowing for a precise fit and perfect alignment.
The treatment process begins with a consultation. You’ll meet with your dentist or orthodontist to see if you’re a candidate. During this initial visit, your dentist will also take x-rays and perform a thorough examination. When all the tests are done, your dentist will sit down with you and make a treatment plan.
Next, your dentist will take molds of your teeth so a lab can make your aligners. You will be given different aligners to wear throughout the entire process. Usually, your dentist will replace your Invisalign trays every two weeks. As your teeth move, your old aligner will no longer fit your mouth. In addition, regularly changing your trays helps them stay invisible.
After about 6 weeks, your dentist will want to check your progress and see if your treatment plan needs to be changed.
What Are The Benefits And Drawbacks?
Like every treatment, there are pros and cons of Invisalign. While this type of dental treatment is an excellent option for many people, it may not work for everyone.
There are many benefits to choosing Invisalign, including:
- Self-Confidence: Unlike braces, Invisalign is basically invisible. If you are self-conscious about wearing braces, Invisalign provides a discreet way to straighten your teeth.
- More Comfortable: Invisalign doesn’t utilize metal or wires to straighten your teeth. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about them cutting your gums, mouth, or tongue.
- Removable and Easily Maintained: One of the hardest parts of having braces is keeping up with your oral hygiene. Trying to brush and floss around the wires is annoying, and food can easily be missed. Because Invisalign aligners are removable, keeping up with your oral hygiene is easier than with traditional braces. In addition, your aligners can easily be cleaned by gently using a toothbrush.
Unfortunately, Invisalign also has some drawbacks. These cons include the following:
- Expense: Dental treatments are expensive, especially cosmetic ones. Invisalign is not covered by most dental insurance plans. This type of treatment can cost between $3,500 and $8,000 depending on how long the process takes and how complex your treatment is.
- Some Discomfort: While aligners are more comfortable than braces, you will still likely experience some discomfort. Even though your aligners are custom fit to your mouth, they will still be tight when you first start wearing them. This may cause some pressure on your teeth and some pain.
- You Must Wear Them All the Time: In order for them to be effective, you need to wear your aligners for 22 hours every day. You can take them out when you are eating and brushing your teeth, but you need to wear them for the rest of the day. Because you need to brush your teeth before putting your aligners back in, they can be a little inconvenient if you’re out in public.
Invisalign Specialists In Boynton Beach
Are you unhappy with your smile? Want to know if you are a candidate for Invisalign? Eriks Dental Group is a caring, capable & comprehensive dental specialist in Boynton Beach. For questions about our dental services, contact us today at (561) 733-4004 to schedule a consultation.